Sunday, January 08, 2006

I guess this means we're a team

A friend of mine sent me the address of your blog; she thought it was interesting. I do too. That's why I posted the comment to your first post.

Actually, I thought you'd just laugh, rather than sending the invitation to be on your team. I didn't know what a team was either. I'm not generally what's known as a team player, and my guess is you're not either. But as long as we're here, let's share a few details of our lives.

I'm 54, which is probably about 30 or so years older than you. I've been divorced twice, and I have two lovely children, both of whom are heroin addicts. I have Stage IV breast cancer; median survival post diagnosis is about 2 years.

And yet I'm happy. No, really. Right now I'm eating chocolate (not good for my diabetes); this afternoon I learned the basics of Sufi dancing, the kind the whirling dervishes do. I first put paintbrush to Bristol paper about two months ago. I have little talent, but I'm having a lot of fun.

When I found out my cancer had metastasized, I retired onto Social Security disability. I suddenly received 5 or 6 awards for the work I'd been doing, which I thought was a bad sign. You never know, though, I may surprise everyone.

I could probably say some motherly things to you, but I don't think I will. You know you write well and you think well. I suppose that now that we're a team you'll be able to see my blog, if you couldn't before. You may decide to take me off your team.

Your name's not really Jimmy, is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home